Thursday, September 4, 2008

Library 2.0

I've recently been inundated with Web 2.0 and Library 2.0. My grad classes are all fascinated with the topic (naturally, being a Library Science program), and one of my current class textbooks is called Library 2.0. I really don't see the point in arguing about whether it's a new idea or just the continuation of what librarians and libraries do. Either way, it's a fact of life and is the future of technology. It seems to me, we all need to be as aware of it as possible and use it to our advantage as well as for the benefit of the patrons. ALL. That's where it's going to be difficult. This is the kind of change that everyone has to get on board with and use, or at the very least, understand, in order to really make it successful. I think that might be the source of the "it's what we already do" vs. "it's a whole new library" argument comes in. The old way wasn't wrong, but it also isn't one hundred percent effective anymore. In a few years, it won't matter how we used to do it, because so many of the patrons won't remember or care.
I consider myself fairly savvy when it comes to most computer issues. I know how to write basic code, and I can back-track my way out of most problems, but Web 2.0 is still overwhelming. I really felt the Librarian 2.0 Skills article was helpful and realistic. It offered good advice for keeping on top of things without getting overwhelmed by the glitter of new technology for technology's sake. It's one that I'll save for future reference.

No comments: